Wednesday, March 24, 2010

SB 6

Currently, in Florida, there is a measure in the State Senate and House of Representatives that radically changes how teachers are paid and assessed. Basically, to the everyday person, the bill reads like this: "Teachers will now be held accountable and earn their salaries based on student performance. If your county decides not to adopt this policy, you will have to pay A LOT more in taxes!"

Honestly, that sounds good, right?

Some of the main points of this "wonder bill," however, include:
  • elimination of tenure (aka job security)
  • basing teacher salary on student performance. A suggested model of pay includes guaranteeing teachers 1/2 of their current salary, and the other 1/2 would be based on student performance, which is from a SINGLE, HIGH-STAKES TEST. We had numerous students "Christmas tree" the exam a few weeks ago, and proceed to sleep for the remaining 40 minutes.
  • If a district decides not to adopt this pay scale, the millage rate (rate on which people are taxed, based on home value) would face a SIGNIFICANT increase.
I wrote to my state representative, as it has sadly already passed the Senate. The following is my email:


Thank you very much for taking the time to read this email.

My name is Amanda Easter and I am a 23-year-old, second-year teacher in Hillsborough County. I came to Florida to attend USF from Connecticut, and I graduated with a degree in elementary education in 2008.

I come from a long line of public servants. My father is currently a captain of a fire department in Connecticut, and he is the 3rd generation of professional firemen in our family. My brother, David, aspires to be a member of the 4th Easter generation of firemen. I truly believe I was called to the field of education when I was a child. I have always done my very best in order to achieve my goal of being an effective teacher in the classroom.

Mr. Homan, I cannot express my fear of what will happen if SB 6 passes. I completely understand why there needs to be more accountability in the classroom, but to base my pay on a single, high-stakes standardized test is completely unthinkable. I have students who "finished" each section of the FCAT this year in 20 minutes and then proceeded to nap. These students will dictate my pay for the next year?

If I wanted to have a job in a field that was based on commission, I would have gone into sales. However, I chose to go into education, because I want to open the minds of today's young people, and tomorrow's leaders. SB 6 is creating a classroom that is run on commission.

I am given 60 minutes with each of my students in my classes. I have my own high expectations of how I want to perform, and in turn how they will perform; however, I only have them 1/24th of their day. If we are talking about waking hours, I have them for 1/16th of their day, which begs the following question: where is the parental and student accountability for their performance?

Ryan Haczynski, a teacher in Durant, wrote the following piece, titled "Terrible for Teachers" that was recently featured on tbo.com: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/21/co-terrible-for-teachers/ . To quote an excellent point, "in what other public-servant sector do we demand such accountability? Do we blame police officers for arriving at the scene of a crime too late? A firefighter for not saving a home from the flames?"

Mr. Homan, I beg of you: DO NOT VOTE FOR SENATE BILL 6! I don't even want to THINK of what will happen to teacher morale, teacher quality, or student performance! It is a terrible bill.

Thank you for your time.

Folks, I am SO SCARED about this! I wrote the email with tears in my eyes and on my cheeks. This is really scary and I don't know what to do! I know that I can't do anything about it, but it's a lot at stake. My job worries aside, this is going to SHAKE to the core how students are taught and the kind of people becoming teachers.

/end rant.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Mandy, I really do hope that this bill does not pass. (I also hope that our Obamacare goes up in flames!) I am keeping my fingers crossed for both!

Great blog by the way!!

You are more than welcome to stop by mine sometime!!
arkansasmom.blogspot.com

Emily Catherine said...

I've had some truly awful teachers in my day, but this hardly seems like the way to handle that problem. Aren't teachers paid little enough already???